Sunday, June 10, 2007

Some Lessons Need To Be Relearned

Every year it seems I need to relearn the lesson on when not to row. On Friday I did manage too slip away during my lunch hour working from home for a quick row. The temperature was in the high 80s and it was very humid pushing the heat index into the low 90s. When I launched my single, there was a slight breeze and all seemed well. By the end of the first mile, I knew it was going to be a long exhausting row. The further I rowed, the more the sun just sucked the energy right out of me. I usually stop at Jacob's Rock, which is the two mile mark, to take a break and get some water. At that time of day (noonish), there is no shade. I had water with me but it provided only brief relief. I continued on to Fountainhead Park (another mile and half past Jacob's Rock) and turned around. It was a long row back to the boathouse. Not only was the sun blistering, but my body was also tired from rowing the previous four days. I had to take a lot of breaks getting back. My legs were tired and my back was sore. It actually was a pleasure rinsing the boat off afterward and cooling myself off. I've had this happen to me before. Rowing in the midday sun is for mad dogs and Englishmen. Its a lesson I seem to have to relearn every year.

The Son returned from his trip to Panama City, FL. He was originally scheduled to fly into Dulles at 11:30PM. We heard on the news that there had been some sort of air traffic control problem in Atlanta that affected flights in the southeast. His flight out of Panama City was cancelled, but he managed to catch an alternate flight. He called us from the Atlanta airport where he was making connection and said his flight was being delayed. It was originally schedule to depart Atlanta at 10:00. They delayed it several times until it finally took off at 12:40. There is nothing like having to pick someone up at the airport at 2:00 in the morning. I finally got to bed around 4:00AM. Definitely not an auspicious start to the weekend.

No comments: