Friday, August 24, 2007

Summer Is Back

All of a sudden, summer is back with a vengeance. I decided to go and row a single this morning as I hadn't been out in one for a while. I got to the boathouse and launched around 8:30. The temperature was right around 70 although it was quite humid. By this afternoon, the temperature was into the 90s. We haven't seen that in a while even though it is August and this is Virginia. Tomorrow is suppose to be even worse with a heat index around 105. I'm glad our practice will be in the early morning.

The row today went well. The first two miles I felt like I was putting in a lot of effort and not getting much run to show for it. After taking a break at Jacob's Rock, I started off slow and easy and lo the boat started to run. I slowly added pressure and increased the rate and I was off to the races. I did a total of 11 miles and my hands show it. They're sore and I have a few new blisters. Overall it was a good row and I enjoy being out in a single from time to time. On Fridays there is hardly anyone out on the Occoquan so its always very peaceful. The weather co-operated with flat water and moderate temperatures.

Daughter#1 is in town for the weekend and its always fun having her here. She took golfing lessons at a community college in Connecticut and wants to go hit some golf balls over the weekend. We use to have a number of driving ranges in the area, but slowly over time, they've all disappeared victims to the continuing development in the county. Now the only one I know of is at Burke Lake Park so I suspect that where we will go. She's spending the night with old high school friends and will be back in the morning.

The search for a place for The Son has come to a screeching halt. After talking to a few lenders, he can't qualify for anything close to what he would need to find something livable. Maybe next year.

No comments: