Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Oh No - Work

Today was my first day back in the office in about 2 1/2 weeks. Which is not to say I haven't been working. I have, but from home or at least on the days I wasn't off due to the holidays. Today it was back to the normal grind. My 80 mile commute and the 1 1/2 hours in the Vanpool. Oddly it wasn't that hard getting up at 3:30 this morning to get ready. Maybe it was the anticipation of heading back to work. I was even able to easily fall back into my routine of sleeping most of the way to the base. It was a busy day and I'm definitely behind. I got a lot done today, unfortunately it wasn't on the things that really needed working on. Tomorrow and Thursday are reserved for that. I've been assigned an intern to help train and groom to replace me if I choose to retire this year. She seems eager enough so thats good. I also had my end of year review today. It went well. No pay raise this year though as the President has frozen cost of living adjustments for all Federal workers. I'd like to say I'm bitter about it, but I'm not really. There are millions that are literally a lot worse off then I am. My wife and I both have jobs we enjoy and while the pay isn't the same as our private sector counterparts, the jobs still pay well enough. A 2.0% pay raise or lack thereof isn't going to break us as a family one way or another. After a 2 hour and fifteen minute commute home, I can tell I'm feeling the effects of the long day. I'm exhausted and all I want to do is go to bed, which I plan to do right after I post this.

In case I missed saying it, a Happy New Year and I wish everyone the best for 2011 . May happiness be in all your hearts throughout the year. Good night.

No comments: