Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Annual Physicals

This past weekend I had two annual physicals. One for me and one for my minivan. Mine was fairly mundane, other than the prostrate exam, which is always a show and not in a good way. Except for my eyes, I seem to be in pretty good health for my age. My blood pressure is still a little higher than the Doctor would like so he tweaked my meds again adding a third medicine. This whole blood pressure thing bugs me because its more about my genetics (Thanks Dad) then a lifestyle thing. If your a male in my family, come your 40th birthday you'll have high blood pressure. It's just how it is. Other than that, nothing exciting. Of course I'm still waiting to hear the result of my blood tests. Things could change, but I tend to think not. The other annual physical was for my minivan. In Virginia, there is a requirement for an annual safety inspection on your car. The minivan didn't fare as well as I did for my physical. The front tires were too worn to be passed. Given that the van still has the original tires and it has 62,000 miles on it, I can't complain too much. Two new tires and I was out of there albeit $400 poorer.

Our Easter was fairly quiet. Ann and I attended services on Good Friday and Easter morning. Then basically relaxed the rest of the weekend. Saturday it was rainy and windy and Sunday it was cold and windy making rowing or biking out of the question. I'm itching to get on the water and the weather has not been cooperating at all. The Son joined us for Easter dinner and our annual Leg of Lamb. It was very tasty although lamb is so rich I can't eat that much.

All weekend I was having problems with my eyes. On Friday and Saturday, my eye lids were so swollen I could hardly see out of them. Saturday I actually spent most of the afternoon with a cold washcloth over my eyes. That seemed to help a lot, but being so swollen I couldn't wear my contacts, which means I couldn't see hardly at all. I certainly couldn't read anything. I took Monday off from work because I didn't think I could wear my contacts. If I can't read there isn't much reason to go to work where 99% of my job involves reading. It was driving me crazy enough on Monday that I finally put my contacts in around 11:00. I figured I would wear them for just a few hours so my eyes wouldn't get irritated. As it turns out, putting in my contacts actually made my eyes feel better and I left them in for 8 hours. I have an appointment in May with my eye Doctor, but I probably should go in in the interim and see if he can figure out why they are so swollen all the time. The worst part of it is my glasses appear to be totally useless. I can't see any better with my glasses on then with them off. I definitely need to get them looked to as well. Now let me get this posted while I can still see.

No comments: