Thursday, April 16, 2009

Scans and Treats

It has been so gloomy, drizzly, overcast, cold and rainy for the past month I was beginning to think that some transformation had occurred that had dumped me in England. Finally, today, the sun is shining and it's beginning to warm up. Warmer temperatures cannot come soon enough to suit me.

Yesterday I went to our local X-Ray/Imaging Center for a bone scan. I have what I like to think is a mild case of osteoporosis in my upper hip/lower back area. I'm not prone to breaking anything, but the bones are not what they should be. I take calcium supplements and Fosamax and it seems to be doing the trick. My last bone scan was better than the previous one and hopefully the trend will continue with this scan. I would have totally missed the appointment if I hadn't loaded the date and time into my cell phone. When the alarm went off, I was grumbling that someone had the nerve to call me when I was at home until I saw what it was and then had to scramble to get out the door. It didn't help that I couldn't find the referral from my Doctor. I had given it to Ann for safekeeping. I called her at work, but of course she wasn't at her desk. She never is, it seems, when I really need to reach her. Talk about adopting a new dog? She's always available. Need to reach her in an emergency? Forget it. You are so out of luck. After ripping apart our office and the file cabinet, I located it sitting right next to where my wallet was. Oops. I did make it there in time. Well 3 minutes late, but that's close. The scan itself was pretty uneventful. You just lay back and let the machine does whatever it does. In and out in about 45 minutes including doing the paperwork.

Thursday is the one day I actually look forward to coming to work. At least I do once I manage to drag my butt out of the beg and quit begging the alarm for just 5 more minutes. The reason I look forward to Thursdays is its Treat Day. Today's offerings were bagels, donuts, three different cheeses, crackers and muffins. All quite good and I had my fair share. Yum.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that tomorrow, finally, I might get out on the water for my first row. It's suppose to be warm enough and as long as it's not too windy, it should be a go. We'll see how out of shape I really am.

For anyone curious about rowing and would like to experience it first hand, the Prince William Rowing Club is offering the first of three "Learn to Row" days this Sunday starting at 1:00PM at the Oxford Boathouse at the Lake Ridge Park Marina in Woodbridge. I'll try to post more information on it tomorrow.

No comments: