Saturday, May 23, 2009

The Red Eye Home

I took the red eye back from California and landed at Dulles about 6:30 this morning. It was one full flight. Every single seat on the plane was taken. They were bribing people to give up their seats before take off. I don't remember any of the flight as I was fast asleep. I'm lucky that I can sleep on a plane, which is part of the reason I take red eyes. The idea of spending a whole day flying east just seems a colossal waste of a day. By taking the red eye, I have all Friday at home rather then on a plane landing just in time to hit afternoon holiday traffic. No thanks.

Before my flight home, I finished my long week of sitting in a conference room listening to such interesting subjects as work packages, COBRA reports, basis of estimates, resource loading, earned value management, etc. Made for some very long days. I so looked forward to getting out of there. I had a small hop from Sacramento to San Francisco on a commuter flight. Despite the hearings on the commuter plane crash in Buffalo, I get a kick out of riding the smaller planes. The single flight attendant we had was a a hoot. Telling us she hoped we never smoked period let alone not doing it in the bathroom. Or if we ever planned future trips in a pressurized metal tube, think of her airline. So thanks Kathy for the levity.

The majority of the day after getting home was spent just resting up. I took a nap. Woke up and showered and unpacked. Just relaxed the rest of the day and enjoyed the great weather we're having. The Son came over for pizza in the evening. Better yet, it appears that The Son may have a job! He goes in on Wednesday for a final meet and greet, but he has been told that the job is his. Lets hope so. It certainly lightens the mood around here.

Hope everyone has a fun Memorial Day weekend. I know I'm looking forward to some rowing on the Occoquan and some biking on the W&OD Trail. And for those who serve and for those who gave the ultimate sacrifice for our great country, we salute you. We can never thank you enough.

No comments: