Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day 2008

I hope Mothers everywhere had a wonderful and joyous Mother's Day. Here it was on the low key side. Now that the kids are grown and out on their own, it doesn't have quite the punch and excitement level as when they were younger. Which is totally understandable since the Daughters are scattered to the winds and weren't able to be here. The Son more than made up for it though. Although his twin sister thought it was a bit of kissing up, but hey, Ann has earned it. The Son dropped by a little after noon and brought flowers. It was very thoughtful and did make Ann's day.

I have a feeling his gf helped him a bit with the flowers, but I'll give him the credit. They looked really nice. Here they are displayed with cards from The Son, Daughter#1 and myself.
He also came through with a gift card to a local spa. That was so thoughtful and I know Ann is looking forward to using it and being pampered for a few hours. So kudos to The Son.

It has rained steadily all afternoon and evening and we've gotten over 3 inches of rain since about 2:00 this afternoon. This on top of 2 inches of rain on Thursday night. There are flood warnings all over. My gutters are clogged with spring debris, which I haven't gotten rid of and all my gutters are overflowing. Not the best thing for the house, especially around our bay window.

Before it rained, I did go for a row this morning. I got in ten miles, but there was a tremendous amount of debris in the water due to the heavy rain Thursday night. At times I was litterly picking my way through sticks and logs and other flotsam. I had to turn around and look behind me every five strokes or so to make sure I wasn't going to hit something that could either dump me in the water or damage the boat. Granted I did hit some debris. It was almost inevitable, but what I did hit was at a very slow pace, which didn't do anything to the boat, I think. However, when I took the boat out of the water and was washing it off, I noticed some nasty scratches on the bottom. I don't think I caused them, but to tell you the truth I didn't look at the bottom of the boat before I put it in the water so I don't know if they were there before my row or not. I don't remember anything running under the boat while I was rowing, but I just don't know. I hope not.

Friday I had a checkup with my dentist. Everything seems to be fine for the moment. The usual 45 minute trip took me an hour and 20 minutes. Traffic on the Beltway was a mess. You would have thought the storm had dumped 7 or 8 inches of snow on the ground rather than just rain. I got to the appointment 20 minutes late. Any later and they would have cancelled my appointment and rescheduled me. Bah on that.

My dermatologist has started me on a two week course of a medicine that turns my urine a nice shade of orange. Think McDonald's orange drink. I find if totally gross and oddly fascinating all at the same time. I also can't drink for two weeks. That sucks mightily.

No comments: