Thursday, October 30, 2008

Sleeping Heaven

The last month or so I have had a few nights where I haven't been able to fall asleep. I would toss and turn before finally getting up and watching some TV before trying again. Usually with mixed results. I've never had much of a problem sleeping. Just ask my fellow riders in my vanpool. I convinced myself that it was our mattress that was the problem. It's old and needs to be replaced. It's not as old as the kids, but not far from it. Trouble is good mattresses are expensive and with Christmas soon upon us and a marriage to pay for, we don't have a lot of money lying around for things like mattresses. As a compromise, Ann and I decided to get some sort of mattress topper. We had taken Monday off since we are old and have enough accrued vacation days that need to be taken between now and the end of the year or we lose them. So we're taking every Monday off between now and the end of the year. Sweet. Anyway, we headed off to Bed, Bath and Beyond to see what was available. I had gone with the idea of getting a memory foam topper, but those turned out to be ridiculously expensive. Whenever I find myself in a quandary about what to buy or can't make a decision about what appears to be two equally attractive options, I call on my own personal shopper. That would be Daughter#1. So there I stood in the middle of the store getting a consultation. Daughter#1 recommended a fiberbed topper, which she has and likes and was about a third of the price of the memory foam topper we were considering. So done and done. We also picked up some new sheets as we desperately needed some of those as well. Back home we changed out our bed and made it up with our new purchases. All I can say its like having a whole new bed. Its heaven. My own personal heavenly bed (Westin Hotel trademark, I think). I actually look forward to going to sleep. The bed does look a little lumpy though.

No comments: