Friday, November 28, 2008

Thanksgiving Feast

Thanksgiving has come and gone and overall it went well. We ended up having a total of five for dinner. My cousin and his wife were no shows.. The Son did show, but there is a limit on how much family reminiscing he can tolerate. The food turned out well, which is what the day is all about. We did end up with a lot of leftovers even after giving my uncle some to take back home. We got the turkey in the oven around 9:00 AM. Here it is all covered in foil.

A picture of Ann after the turkey went in the oven. She always a lot more relaxed once the turkey is cooking.


I had the task of peeling the potatoes to make the mashed potatoes. My handiwork before I cut them into cubes. Ann cooked them and then The Son was given the task of turning them into mashed potatoes. He runs a mean hand mixer and is generous with the spices and sour cream.


Mmmmm is there a better smell in the world then a turkey fresh from the oven? Here it is in all its 21 lb glory before I carved it up.


We all ate our fill and then some including the pumpkin and sweet potato pies. My Uncle's wife made the pumpkin pie from scratch starting with a real pumpkin. We're a lot lazier at this house (when we make pumpkin pie) relying on Libby to make the pumpkin filling. After laying around in a post turkey haze, we headed up and we were in bed by 9:00 and happy to be there.
Today, Friday. i actually broke out my erg for the first time since May. I was hoping to grab one more day out on the water before Sandy Run closes for the season at the end of this month, but it doesn't look like the weather will cooperate. I did an easy 5,000 meter piece. I'm not going to try and kill myself until I can get my fitness level back to where it should be. After erging and getting cleaned up, Ann and I walked the dog for about an hour. I don't know who needed the walk more - us or the dog. After lunch we looked on line for some deals, but really only managed to get a few things and nothing major. After that time sink, I retired to the family room and watched Miracle on 34th Street. That movie always does my heart good, but its really so politically incorrect these days what with the insane talk and commitment to Bellevue all because Kris thinks he is Santa Claus. I ended up the day by going out for pizza by myself. Ann was just too tired and not up for it at all. Our pizza place is like our "Cheers". They know our names and get us our drinks without even asking anymore. It's friendly and cozy and it wasn't a big deal for me to go by myself.

Tomorrow will no doubt be more attempts at shopping and watching football. Va Tech plays Virginia and my game, of course, is the Auburn vs Alabama game. If Auburn only had an offense. Hopefully the defense will keep it close.

No comments: