Monday, February 26, 2007

Snow

So much for the Winter Storm Watch being downgraded to an "Advisory". We ended up getting about 5 inches of snow. It never changed over to rain as they were predicting. It was beautiful to watch coming down and it turned the woods behind our house into a winter wonderland. I'll try and post a picture of it in the next day or so. After the snow stopped about midday, I drafted the Son to help me clear the driveway and sidewalks. We ended up not only clearing our sidewalks, but those of our neighbors on either side of us. Both seem to be out of town. After some initial grumbling about the extra work, the son went to it. I explained to him about helping out your neighbors and the good karma that will be forthcoming as a result. I should start calling him Grasshopper.

After the shoveling was complete, with a reshovel thrown in when the VDOT plow came through, I built a fire in our family room fireplace and proceeded to chill out. First watching a taped Friday Night Lights and then watching Maryland come back twice from double digit deficits to beat the hated University of North Carolina. A fitting close to the day.

With the snow coming down, I decided to skip my Sunday erg class. Instead I rowed 10,000 meters on my own at home. No speed records were set. One annoying aspect was my monitor started to fade out as I reached the final 1,000 meters. I had noticed before that the monitor would start to fade a little during some of my rows, but not like this. It was all but unreadable. I checked the battery utility and it said they were still at 75% so I'm not sure exactly what is going on. I'll try and call Concept2 on Weds and see if they can help out. I toyed with trying to change out the batteries (2 D batteries), but I couldn't get the back off the monitor. Its held on by a single plastic screw. The head of the screw is really tiny and its really on tight. I'm afraid of stripping out the screw head. I hope I can find the right solution. Its pretty difficult to row without the monitor.

No comments: