Monday, April 2, 2007

Holy Rollers

It was a beautiful day in the neighborhood as temperatures got into the 70s. The trees are beginning to show signs of greening up and there are flowers everywhere. The cherry blossoms are at their peak downtown around the Tidal Basin. The kids are happy as it's their spring break this week.

Spring also brings us Easter. Its Easter which I assume brought about the knock on our door shortly after dinner tonight. It was a couple from one of the local Baptist churches. I know with some religions its important to spread their interpretation of the Word and recruit new members to the true way. So it was that they invited me to Easter services at their church. All well and good and how very kind and neighborly of them. Then they asked if I had a local church. I told them that I did. I'm a cafeteria Catholic. That I did not tell them. I thanked them and accepted their literature and thought that was the end of our brief visit. The he asked if I knew Jesus. Hmmm...ok. Yes, I told him hoping that would make him happy and he'd be on his way. No such luck. Then he asked if I died today did I think I would go to heaven? Now what kind of question is that to ask a perfect stranger? Frankly I thought it none of his business and the question was at best rude and inappropriate. Who knows if I'll go to heaven? I'll leave that to the Big Guy to decide. I always felt someone's religious beliefs were private and between that person and whatever Deity he chose to believe or not believe. These people need to find something more productive to do with their time. Frankly the whole episode pissed me off.

No comments: