Monday, April 30, 2007

A Daughter's Visit

When we last left our hero on Thursday evening, he was stranded in southern Maryland due to a broken down commuter van. The horror of this event was somewhat soothed by a few beers at the Outback Steakhouse across the highway from the disabled van. Friday was a work from home day so not having to rise at the crack of dawn after my four hour commute the day before helped. We also got the new that Daughter #2 would be visiting the following day with the Black Demon. The SIL would not be coming along as he was helping his Dad plant corn on the family farm in McGaheysville.

Daughter #2, who is the complete opposite of her older sister, seems to have inherited the family gene for never getting on the road on time and was about an hour late arriving at 11:00 from Harrisonburg rather than the planned 10:00. We had coordinated that she, I and Ann would hit the W&OD Trail for a bike ride before having lunch. Because of her late arrival, we debated about eating first and then riding, but decided if we ever sat down for a big lunch we would never make it to the trail. So some of us had a snack on the way to the trail. It was sunny when we left Woodbridge, but was cloudy and cool by the time we arrived at the parking area. It took us about 20 minutes to warm up. We stopped at mile 27.5 on the trail, which is where the trail crosses Ashburn Road and is 3.5 miles into our ride. The country store there cooks and sells fresh BBQ right there next to the trail that I've always wanted to try, but never have. The stop was necessitated by Ann not wanting to continue, that she was holding Daughter#2 and I back and she would just ride back to the van and wait for us. After much cajoling and pleading, we convinced her to continue on and we made the trip to Leesburg in about 54 minutes. After a short break to use the potty and rehydrate, we started the return trip. It was getting chilly again just sitting around and we didn't want to stiffen up. Coming back we made much better time and completed the 10 miles in 45 minutes. Despite her pleas to the contrary Ann's ride back was much better.

After the ride, we packed the 3 bikes in the back of our van and headed down Rt 28 to Sweetwater Tavern for a late lunch. It's definitely one of our favorite places to eat with good food, good service and they brew their own beer. What could be better? Since we were eating late (or early if you considered it dinner), we indulged in a shrimp type appetizer and a few Black and Tans before pigging out on our various entrees. I personally had the Drunken Rib Eye, which is so tasty. We also had a coupon for two free deserts because, horrors, we had to wait like 15 minutes at one of their other locations over by INOVA Hospital in Fairfax a while back. After all that, I let Ann drive the rest of way home so I could nap. That evening daughter #2 left for DC to visit with a couple of friends, one of which was leaving for London to continue her Veterinary education. We got to babysit the Black Demon for the night. In all fairness, the Demon, who is a Black Lab/Border Collie mix has quieted considerably from her puppy/teen years. She still bullies Rosie, our miniature schnauzer/dachshund mix, a bit, but usually everyone gets along fairly well. The Demon is also appreciative of all the treats she receives while in our care much to the dismay of Daughter #2. On her way into DC, Daughter#2 missed a turn around the Lincoln Memorial and called for assistance. I've lived in this area on and off since I was 15, but I can't say that I know downtown DC all the well. I can get around the major points of interest, but after that I'm lost. I called up Google Maps and kept her on her cell phone till she got to her destination. Mission accomplished as my ultimate boss once said. Erroneously, as it turned out.

Sunday, Daughter #2 returned home around 9:00 and we had some bacon and eggs prepared by yours truly (fake bacon for the almost vegan daughter). Then to wear the Demon out for the drive home, we took about an hours walk around the neighborhood. It was nice having her home for the short weekend. Her visit did throw off my plans to go rowing on Sunday, but it was worth the sacrifice.

The rest of the day was spent watching the Nationals play the Mets and doing the grocery shopping. All in all, not a bad weekend.

No comments: