Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Super Bowl and Low Rate Erging

Like most of America, I spent Sunday evening watching the Super Bowl. I had no real routing interest in either team, but as I got into the game I found myself routing for the Giants. It's not so much that I didn't want New England to go undefeated. On the contrary, anything to shut up the 1972 Dolphins and their annoying toasting to themselves every year. Grow up. I guess it was more routing for the underdog. Back in the day when I was little and growing up in NJ, I was a big Giants fan. At least until the AFL and the Jets came along. There has been talk that this was the biggest upset in Super Bowl history. So not true. Anyone who says the 1969 Jets - Colts (the true Colts from Baltimore not the sham Colts in Indianapolis) wasn't the biggest upset just doesn't understand football or more likely is under the age 35.

While waiting for the game to come along, I made it to my Sunday erg class. There were far fewer rowers than normal. I think it's because the Mid-Atlantic Erg Sprints were held on Saturday and those rowers, wisely, decided to skip the Sunday class. We also had a substitute Instructor. I know her as she's one of the younger rowers from our club not long out of college. Rather than our usual row, she had us doing pyramids at very low stroke rates - 16 to 18 strokes per minute to start out. At these lower rates, you have to put a lot more omph into it. It's basically a strength exercise rather than an aerobic one. It turned out well and was something different. I ended up putting in almost 13,000 meters so I got my money's worth. Now to make myself at home tomorrow to keep things moving along.

1 comment:

Susan said...

I just emailed you my interview questions. I hope they are ok.