Monday, January 4, 2010

The Cold Dark Side of Work and College Football

I can't tell you how much it sucked when the alarm went off this morning at 3:30. It was so hard to get up. The house was dark and cold. Even our dog had the sense not to get out of bed. Cursing my fate, I did roll out of bed and get in the shower to start getting ready. The only upside was the van we commute in was already warmed up by the time Ann and I got to the commuter lot where we pick it up. There is nothing more depressing then leaving for work in the dark and getting home in the dark. I live the life of a vampire. Work itself wasn't bad for a first day back. It was uncharacteristically quiet. No calls from the Program Office and none from my Contractors. Even my boss, who was in, didn't stop by my desk all day. All that quiet did let me be pretty productive though.

I'm watching the Fiesta Bowl between Boise State and TCU while I type this out. What an injustice that these two non-BCS schools are playing each other rather then one of the ranked BCS schools. It's as if the BCS Committee has relegated them to the equivalent of the kiddie table at Thanksgiving. I think the Committee intentionally sought to minimize the impact these two schools would have on the whole BCS ranking process. Not to mention sparing a school like Oklahoma from being embarrassed again at the hands of a non-BCS school. Sooner or later they have to institute a play-off system. It's the only sport that doesn't have one. All other divisions of college football have one, why not the majors? There would be still plenty of money to spread around, which is what it's all about. This rant brought to you by Jimmy Football. Tailgate tested, tailgate approved.

No comments: