Saturday, December 13, 2008

Of Cars, Rowing and Missing Keys

Ann dragged me out of bed at the ungodly hour of 6:00 AM. At least it's ungodly for a Saturday morning. She woke me up so I could get an emissions test done on The Son's car. Why didn't The Son do it? Good question. We are terrible enablers. His car is only a year old so getting through emissions was no big deal. I was second in line at the gas station so I didn't have to wail long at all. After the test was done, it was off to the DMV to renew the registration. I pulled in the drive up window line which appeared to be 7 deep and settled in. After about 20 minutes and no movement in the line, I called Ann and asked when they opened as it was now about 8:40. She checked and they had been opened the whole time I had waited in line. In fact I had seen people go in and out the front door of the building. About that time another driver pulled up next to me and motioned for me to roll down my window, which I did. He told me that the drive up window was closed. Duh. No wonder there had been no movement. As I pulled out of the line of cars, I could see that all the cars were empty. They must belong to the DMS employees trying to park as close as possible. What a waste of time. I just drove home and had Ann renew on line. Grrrr.

This afternoon i attended a kick off meeting for a new Masters Regatta that we hope to start up this summer. Its been tentatively been named the Occ0quan Masters Sprints. Its to be held in July on the Occoquan and hosted by the Occoquan Boat Club. It should be interesting working on the inside to see how it all comes together.

After the meeting I went to an open house hosted by one of my teammates and her husband. It was nice. Good food and good company. Nice to see those I haven't seen since our season ended last month. As I was preparing to leave, I searched my pockets for my car keys. Nothing. I went outside to see if I had dropped them on the ground getting out of the car. I opened my cell phone and used the lighted display like a flashlight. Nothing. I looked on the driver's seat and there they were. Only trouble was the car was locked. I called Ann to come bring a spare set of keys to unlock it. She was none to happy about it even though the drive was only about two miles. A stream of obscenities emerged from her mouth. Geez, you would have thought I had woken her up at 2:00 in the morning and asked her to drive 30 miles to pick me up. If she had stuck with our original plan for her to accompany me to the Open House, I'm sure it wouldn't have happened. She is turning into quite the hermit.

No comments: