1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?
Raced in a single. Its been something I've wanted to try for a while and finally worked up enough nerve to try it. It was actually fun even if my finish time sucked badly.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Actually I don't make new year's resolutions so none to keep or fail to keep. I doubt I'll make any this year.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My nephew's wife Erin gave birth too a baby boy - Cameron.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
Ideally, I would love to retire in 2010, but we'll have to see on that one. I'm eligible, but it's whether I can afford to.
7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Daughter#1's wedding in May.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Wow, nothing really stands out even after reviewing my archives for the year. I guess I could say completing another year of rowing even while in my late 50s, including competing a 5,000 meter race in a single.
9. What was your biggest failure?
The inability to reduce my credit card debt. I haven't gotten in any deeper, but I haven't gotten any better either.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nothing serious unless you consider the recurring skin infections and my screwed up eyelashes that keeping scratching my corneas.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Daughter#1's wedding. It was a great wedding/party, but man was it expensive.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Nobody in particular comes to mind.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
The right's continuing attacks on the President. Not born in the US! The birthers need a new life. He's a Muslim! Oh please. It seems the right will say anything to keep the masses in an uproar.
14. Where did most of your money go?
The mortgage, credit cards and other various loans.
15. What did you get really excited about?
My new bike that I got last Christmas. I couldn't wait to try it out. I had some great rides over the spring and summer.
16. What song will always remind you of 2009?
The Beach Boys "God Only Knows" It was the father/daughter dance at Daughter#1's wedding.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
– happier or sadder? Happier, I think.
– thinner or fatter? About the same.
– richer or poorer? Financially maybe a tad richer, but not by anything substantial.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
More day or overnight trips. There is so much to do in this area that I don't take enough advantage of.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Wasting time and being so disorganized.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
At home with Ann and The Son. The girls and their husbands joined us the day after.
21. Did you fall in love in 2009?
Not with anyone new. I'm still in love with my wife of 33 years.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
24. What was the best book you read?
I usually read several books while at the beach. This year we didn't make it to the beach and therefore I can hardly recall reading any books at all. I did finish one while on travel in December - "Scarpetta" by Patricia Cornwell. Entertaining enough.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Can't think of a single one.
26. What did you want and get?
A year of being with my family, no serious illnesses, of seeing all the kids employed after all had lost their jobs at some point during the year. Walking Daughter#1 down the isle.
27. What did you want and not get?
I didn't get to retire.
8. What was your favorite film of this year?
Star Trek. Great movie for both Trekkees and the general public.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
My birthday was on a Friday so I was at home and I'm sure i went for a row, but nothing extravagant for my birthday. I turned 58.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
More work at home days.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
Business casual for work days. Jeans and t shirts or sweatshirts depending on the temperature.
32. What kept you sane?
Getting out on the water or biking on the W&OD Trail. Working at home.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I think I’ll go with Amy Adams (she's just so cute) and Anna Torv (Fringe).
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
The bailouts. Necessary I know. It's scary how close the country came to going under.
35. Who did you miss?
My kids, my Dad and at the 25th anniversary of her death, my Mom.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
Hmmmm...I'm drawing a complete blank here which speaks volumes on how much I stay in my own comfort box and really don't meet many new people. Maybe Daughter#1 can help me out with this one.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009.
My entire family was together for the first time in many years. We are scattered to the four winds and it's hard for all of us to get together any more. We did that this year celebrating my Dad's 80th birthday. It made me appreciate the family that I do have. It also makes me realize what I miss by not having them close by. It's said you can pick your friends, but not your family, which is true. I got lucky and have a great family. Even better, Daughters#1 and 2 have married guys with great families of their own. Its been wonderful adding their families to our own.