Sunday, January 20, 2008

Baby It's Cold Outside

We're currently experiencing our first real cold snap of the winter. When I got up this morning, around 7:00, the temperature was a brisk 17 degrees with a wind chill of 13. When I got home from my erg class just after noon, the temperature had climbed to a balmy 19 degrees, but the wind chill had dropped to ten. Now as I watch the start of the AFC Championship Football game, it is 22 degrees, but the wind chill is 8 degrees. To add to the misery, the air is extremely dry. The dew point is a minus 6. My poor skin is screaming it's so dry. Definitely a day for curling up with a nice warm quilt.

The erg class was completely filled today. Over 24 rowers. We even had to turn 4 rowers away as there were no more ergs. Part of it is that our instructor is a crew coach at South County High School and several of her rowers are now attending her class. That's enough to completely fill the class given the large number of Master's age rowers that show up to every Sunday. The high school season starts the end of February and I assume the high school rowers will drop off at that point. It's not a bad thing to have them in the class. They bring a certain level of energy and enthusiasm that the rest of us feed off. I managed to get my 10,000 meters in during class so it was a good day of rowing. Not as good as being on the water, but it will do for now.

I've been on the verge of catching a cold. Not quite there, but right on the edge. My nose as been producing impressive quantities of snot for the past three weeks. Now my eyes have decided to join in and are currently zombie red and tearing like crazy. As a final act, the congestion is moving into my chest. Now I can cough up the same amount of phlem that I am blowing out my nose. Sweet. Thank goodness Monday is a holiday so I don't infect the van pool.

No comments: