Thursday, January 17, 2008

Snow Day


I decided to stay home today and work from home rather than make the 80 mile commute to work. The weather forecast was calling for snow turning to sleet and freezing rain before turning to all rain. When I woke up this morning at my go to work time of 3:30, the snow had not yet begun. In fact, it wasn't suppose to start until mid morning so getting to work would have been no problem. Getting home would be the problem. I could easily see sitting in traffic and taking upwards of three hours to get home. We Washington drivers love the drama of bad weather and we drive like it too. The thought of spending three hours in a cold van or worse having to be the driver for those three hours was more than I cared to endure. Luckily, I have the ability to work from home (thank you Internet) and thank goodness my management is enlightened enough to let me do so even on an emergency basis , like today. So after calling the van to let them know I would not be riding in with them today, I went back to sleep for another two hours. Bliss.


The snow finally began about 9:30 and now at 11:00 we have about an inch so far and it continues to snow fairly hard. The woman who grooms the furry children has called and cancelled her appointment for today. She operates out of a customized van and and comes to our house. When she called she told us the roads were really slippery and icy and she was heading home. The Son is also being sent home from his job. Looks like I made the right decision.

No comments: