Sunday, March 16, 2008

Home Again Home Again

The world travelers are now at home. We picked them up at the airport, although a good ninety minutes late. US Airways kept up their splended record for flight delays. They were due in from Philly at 7:00, but didn't actually arrive until 8:30. We had planned to take them out to dinner after they landed so by 8:30 everyone was starving. Daughter#2 opted to eat at Noodles and Company at Pentagon Row. Apparently she needed a noodle fix after two weeks of English/Scottish fare. We didn't get home until almost 11:00. By then Daughter#2 and The Son In Law had been up for over twenty-four hours having left for Glasgow at 3:30 in the morning GMT. If they could sum up their trip in one word, that word would be wet. This scene was not atypical of many of their days.

They did get in a lot of hiking. There was 27 in their group and unlike I had imagined, most of the time they were free to plan and take off on their own hikes. A picture from the top of Fairfield Horseshoe Hike.

Another picture from one of their hikes.

One thing you can say about the Lake District, it certainly is picturesque.
As I had mentioned in an earlier entry, after their hiking adventure, they traveled north to visit relatives in Largs, Scotland.

Here is a picture of The Pencil in Largs. It commemorates a Scottish victory over Vikings many centuries ago.

One of the required places to visit in Scotland is Edinburgh Castle. Daughter#2 had been there before, but since this was The Son In Law's first visit to our ancestorial home, they made the trip.

I have also mentioned here occasionally, that Daughter#2 was quite the soccer player in her day and she still has an interest in it. Through e-mails with our relatives in Largs prior to their visit, Daughter#2 expressed an interest in catching a game while in country. Madeline came through for her big time. She scored two tickets so they traveled to Glasgow to Celtic Park to watch the Celtic FC play Dundee.

Celtic is in the Green and White.

Apparently the match ended up ina 0-0 tie. But there was Guinness to drink before and after the game. I'm very envious.

Daughter#2 and The Son In Law returned to their home on Saturday after a night's rest. Daughter#2 was nice enough to cook everyone breakfast. For some reason, I couldn't get back to sleep after waking up at 5:00 and Gracie was whining to go out, so she and I went on a 2.5 mile walk before breakfast. After they packed up and headed home, Ann and I just watched basketball games for the rest of the day. The house seemed very quiet with Gracie gone. After a long Palm Sunday Mass (Vigil) in the evening, we headed out for pizza. When we got home, I spent a lot of the evening uploading Daughter#2's photos of their trip.
Sunday was just for laying around and doing some chores. We did watch Michael Clayton in the afternoon, which seemed a bit slow at times, but all came together in the end. There wasn't anything on Sunday on TV that appealed to me, so I did some rowing club work and then turned in.

No comments: