Monday, January 5, 2009

Back to the Grind

Like many people, today marked the return to my normal routine. Normal for me on a Monday is to get up at 3:30 in order to catch my vanpool at 4:45 to make the 80 mile trip into southern Maryland in order to be at my desk by 6:30. I'd be lying if I said that getting up at 3:30 wasn't hard after sleeping in for the past two weeks. Not that 3:30 is ever all that easy. As I was getting ready I discovered I had forgotten to pick up my shirts from the cleaners. Ooops. I was able to salvage another shirt for today that I don't normally wear anymore. Once on the van, I slept like someone dead to the world all the way in. I was still half asleep as I tried to go through an automatic door that wasn't working. Someone had to mention to try the other door. My day was off to a great start. The best I can say about my first day back was that it was slow. No meetings, my Contractors didn't call and my bosses left me alone. I think everyone was trying to slowly get back into things and plowing through all their unread e-mails. I caught up on some administrative things and did other small tasks before jumping onto the bigger tasks tomorrow. The shock of returning to work was softened somewhat by one of my co-workers preparing a large spice cake with cream cheese frosting. My that was good. There was plenty for me to have a second piece. That made for a nice sugar coma on the way home as I again slept like the dead. I wasn't in the mood to pick up my shirts, but that was unavoidable. I did that while Ann prepared dinner. Tomorrow is another day. It doesn't get any easier.

No comments: