Monday, December 24, 2007

Christmas Eve

As I had predicted, this weekend has been all kinds of crazy, but usually in a good way. We got The Son sort of set up in his new place. He still isn't living there full time, but after Christmas he should have everything he needs to live there full time. He still doesn't have any lamps for his bedroom, but we're working on it. Daughter#1 arrived on time Saturday morning. She helped with some of her mad shopping skills and a guest entry. Sunday, Daughter#2 arrived husband and dog in tow. We enjoyed some white beam chili for lunch before we headed down to her twin's new place to show it off. They seemed to like it. We went out to Olive Garden for dinner that night. all seven of us, including, The Son's new girlfriend. This morning, Christmas Eve, we woke up and exchanged presents with Daughter#2 and The Son In Law. They won't be able to be with us on Christmas Day as they will be with his family. I guess the up side it will be like having two Christmases. After presents there was the breakfast and mimosas. We really had no plans for after breakfast and Daughter #2, Ann, The Son In Law and myself went for a hike at Hemlock Overlook. Pictures for all of the above to follow.

As this is Christmas Eve, we should all be with our families so I will keep this short. As to my feelings about Christmas I'll defer to two writers much more talented than myself - Dr. Suess and Charles Dickens.

"Perhaps Christmas doesn't come from a store. Perhaps Christmas means a little bit more." - How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Suess. '

There are many things from which I might have derived good, by which I have not profited, I dare say,' returned the nephew. 'Christmas among the rest. But I am sure I have always thought of Christmas time, when it has come round -apart from the veneration due to its sacred name and origin, if anything belonging to it can be apart from that- as a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable, pleasant time; the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow-passengers to the grave, and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys. And therefore, uncle, though it has never put a scrap of gold or silver in my pocket, I believe that it has done me good, and will do me good; and I say, God bless it!' = A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

So to one and all a Very Merry Christmas and God Bless Us every one.

No comments: