Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow

Working from home today I can look out our office window and see our first snow of the season. Considering how warm a fall we've had, its quite a treat to get snow so early here in Virginia. We don't get a lot of snow, as you might imagine, so I like to enjoy it while I can. It looks pretty coming down and tonight when every one's Christmas lights come on, it will look even better. It's a nice run up for Christmas. Next up on the schedule is to get our tree this weekend. I like to think I'm pretty picky about the tree that we get. It has to be just right. A good shape and nice and full. The ones I've seen just from driving past the nursery we usually get ours from look pretty nice so hopefully it won't take too long. The last few years its been a struggle to get the tree into our stand and getting it to be straight. Keeping my fingers crossed on that. Considering we have one of those adjustable stands, I'm not sure why we've had such a problem. The one thing I will miss is not having the girls home to help us decorate the tree. Christmas, to me, is about family and the unique traditions each family calls its own. Decorating the tree with everyone involved is one of ours, although we may have to beat on The Son to get him started. I put on the lights once the tree is inside and set up. We bring in the the CD player into the living room so we can listen to Christmas carols as we decorate the tree. We all have individual ornaments we like to call our own and place on the tree. The tree fills the main level of the house with a nice pine scent signaling that yes Christmas is not long in coming. Ann will usually take care of decorating the family room and hanging the stockings and putting garland on the mantle. One of these day we'll actually start on our Christmas cards.

The only downside to the snow is having to go to the grocery store. I'm sure by now they've had a run on milk, bread and toilet paper. If nothing, we Virginians love a good snow drama. Like an inch or two will strand us in our houses for a week. Good times and long lines at the checkout.

No comments: